OAB offers IT training to people who are living with sight loss. These are one-to-one sessions with a volunteer, focussed on individual requirements – whether it’s getting started for the first time, learning how to manage emails more effectively, good ‘housekeeping’, or feeling more confident about online shopping. We are also able to help you with specialist software.
We have assisted people with a wide variety of needs:
- A woman who had never used a computer before is emailing confidently, browsing the internet and getting to grips with functions like printing.
- Another new user felt confident enough to buy a computer and is now able to Skype her son overseas and to send emails.
- A man who also has a hearing impairment and had struggled to make any progress in open computer classes is now using a computer at home.
- We have helped a school student, who was finding it hard to keep up in her school IT classes, to use programs such as Word and Powerpoint more confidently.
- We can help you get to grips with specialist software such as screen readers, or to try out different programs to see what might suit you.
- We have helped people to improve their skills with software they are already using e.g. Jaws, Guide, Supernova and Zoomtext.
- We have an IT suite with computers that can be adapted to individuals’ needs (e.g. adjusting size of icons and text, colours, the mouse) for general IT training.
- If you have a laptop, you can bring this in with you, and receive the training on your own machine.
- If you need help with an i-pad or other portable device we will ask you to bring this in with you.
We usually offer four sessions of around 1 -1.5 hours each. However, some people just need one or two sessions to deal with specific issues, while others may require more. You will see the same person each time.
You’ll need to be able to get to OAB, as the sessions will take place here. However, we can reimburse your travel costs, for example:
- mileage if someone drives you in their car;
- the cost of using a volunteer car scheme (we can provide information about these);
- public transport fares;
- taxi fares (within Oxford city).
If you’d like to know more, please telephone Ana on 01865 725595 or email email@example.com